In a world where innovation constantly shapes our daily lives, even the most fundamental aspects are not spared. For example, the evolution of personal hygiene practices in the modern bathroom. As we strive for cleaner, more sustainable living, one revolutionary fixture has been gaining traction and transforming bathrooms across the globe: the bidet.
According to recent studies, the bidet market has experienced a remarkable surge, with an annual growth rate of over 8% in the past few years1. This surge isn’t just a fad; it’s a reflection of our collective pursuit of enhanced comfort, improved hygiene, and a reduced environmental footprint.
If you’ve ever wondered what is a bidet toilet – their types, benefits, installation, how does a bidet work, how to use bidet,
and how they can create a more comfortable bathroom space – you’re in the right place.
In this blog, Manhattan bathroom remodeling and kitchen renovation experts will help you delve into the world of bidets, unveiling their diverse types, the advantages they bring, how to choose the perfect fit for your bathroom, installation maintenance tips, and so much more.
Whether you’re new to the concept or seeking to upgrade your bathroom experience, this blog will equip you with the knowledge you need to make informed decisions and enjoy the comfort and hygiene benefits that bidets offer.
What is a bidet?
A bidet is a plumbing fixture that allows you to clean your bottom in the bathroom. It is most often used by people who want to be extra-clean or have health conditions requiring them to clean their genitals or anal area daily.
The first bidet was invented in France during the 1700s, and it was originally used by royalty as a way to stay clean without having to use toilet paper. Because they were so expensive and difficult to install, they were only available in palaces at first, but eventually, they became more common and were installed in public bathrooms as well.
Types of Bidet
Bidets are like a toilet but with more features.
Bidets are one of those things that might seem weird at first, but once you get used to them, they’re pretty great. Bidets can be found in many different places around the world, including Europe and Asia. They’re particularly popular in France, where they are used by 93% of households.
Bidets are basically toilets with extra features—a lot of bidets have warm water that you can use to wash your privates after going to the bathroom. They also have heated seats and even dryers, so you don’t have to use toilet paper.
Here are 4 different types of Bidets you should know about:
Standalone Bidets: Classic Elegance
These are the traditional, standalone bidets you might see in a fancy hotel. They’re simple to install and don’t require any additional plumbing or electrical work. Plus, they come with a variety of features and accessories so you can customize your experience.
Bidet Toilet Seats: Seamless Integration
Bidet toilet seats are an alternative to standalone bidets that offer all the same benefits and more! These toilet bidets are installed right on top of your existing toilet seat, which means there’s no need to buy a whole new toilet or install new fixtures. Moreover, since they’re part of the toilet, they come with features like heated seats and warm water sprays—all without extra costs!
Handheld Bidet Sprayers: Flexibility in Your Hands
For those seeking versatility and minimal installation hassle, handheld bidet sprayers are a fantastic option. These are akin to a showerhead for your undercarriage – a hose and nozzle combination that can be installed near your toilet. You control the spray angle and pressure, providing a customizable cleaning experience.
Attachable Bidet Units: Budget-Friendly Solution
This is the most common type of bidet, and it’s also the least expensive. They’re easy to install on any toilet and don’t require extra plumbing or electrical work. When you’re ready to use it, just attach it to your toilet seat and turn on the water. These units tend to be more powerful than other bidets (which can be good or bad, depending on what you’re looking for).
How to Use a Bidet?
Bidets are like the little black dresses in your bathroom—they go with everything, and everyone should have one.
But how do you use a bidet? Don’t worry; it’s easier than you think! Here’s a step-by-step walkthrough for all the steps to get started on your bidet journey.
Step 1: Preparing for Takeoff
- Finish your business on the toilet as you normally would.
- Instead of reaching for toilet paper, get ready for a refreshing cleanse.
Step 2: Positioning
- If you’re using a bidet toilet seat, look for the control panel or remote to activate the bidet function. For standalone bidets or handheld sprayers, adjust your position accordingly.
- For bidet toilet seats, some have sensors that automatically start the cleansing process when you’re seated. Others might require you to press a button.
Step 3: The Spray
- Start with a gentle water flow. Adjust the water pressure as needed – you’re in control!
- Direct the water spray to the desired area. Most bidets have adjustable nozzles for precision.
Step 4: Cleansing Magic
- Relax and allow the gentle stream of water to do its work. You might need to shift positions slightly to ensure thorough cleaning.
- Move the nozzle or sprayer slightly to cover all the necessary areas. Feel free to adjust the pressure and angle for maximum comfort.
Step 5: Drying (Optional)
- Some advanced bidet models come with built-in air dryers. If available, use the dryer to achieve a fresh, dry finish.
- If your bidet doesn’t have this feature, you can pat yourself dry with a small amount of toilet paper or a towel.
Step 6: Finishing Touches
- Stand up and admire your newfound freshness.
- If you’re using a bidet toilet seat, deactivate the bidet function using the control panel or remote.
Step 7: Clean Up
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- Admire your eco-friendly choice and the reduction in toilet paper usage!
Benefits of Bidet
Bidet is a new product that helps you clean your private parts. It has been used in many countries for a long time. Nowadays, people are more concerned about their health and hygiene. Therefore, bidet is becoming more popular among people of all ages.
Bidet offers many benefits to its users, and it is easy to use. Everyone can use this device without any fear because it is safe, hygienic, convenient, and affordable.
The following are some of the benefits of bidet:
Bidets have been proven to be superior to toilet paper when it comes to hygiene. They use less water, which means less energy is used, and they use less toilet paper, which means less waste in landfills.
Reduced Environmental Impact
Did you know millions of trees are cut down annually to produce toilet paper? By using a bidet, you significantly reduce your reliance on paper products, contributing to a greener and more sustainable planet.
Comfort and Relief
Bidets are great for cleaning up after bowel movements, which is why they’re so popular in places where there’s no toilet paper. They help you feel more comfortable by providing you with a warm, wet stream of water that gently cleanses your anus and genitals.
Potential Health Benefits
Bidets can also improve your health. Bidets are known to reduce the risk of hemorrhoids, urinary tract infections (UTIs), and other conditions that may be caused by wiping with dry toilet paper. They also help keep the skin around your anal area clean and healthy!
The average person spends about $3,500 on toilet paper in their lifetime. On the other hand, a bidet costs less than $250 and can save you money over time.
A bidet is versatile because it can be used with any type of toilet seat. This means that if you already have a traditional toilet seat or even an elongated toilet seat, you don’t have to worry about purchasing new equipment or having it installed in your bathroom. Bidets are easy to set up and use!
Embracing bidets aligns with an eco-conscious lifestyle by decreasing your ecological footprint. By using less toilet paper and reducing sewage contamination, you’re actively contributing to a cleaner environment.
They’re easy to use and find at local retailers like Walmart or Target. They take up very little space and don’t require much maintenance at all—just plug them in and start using them!
Cultural and Lifestyle Shift
The bidet is a cultural icon throughout Europe and parts of Asia, where it has been used for centuries. In these regions, it is considered standard for every bathroom to include a bidet. But in North America, only 10% of homes have one installed. This means that the majority of us don’t have access to this effective hygiene tool!
How to Choose the Best Bidet Toilets for Your Home
It is an expensive investment to buy the best bidet toilets for your home. You might want to make sure that you can get the most value out of your money. Here are some things that you need to consider before purchasing one:
Assess Your Space
- Measure the available space in your bathroom. Bidet toilets come in various sizes, so ensure you have enough room for installation.
- Consider the plumbing setup. Some bidet toilets require additional plumbing connections, so check if your bathroom is compatible.
Determine Your Budget
- Bidet toilets vary in price based on features and brand. Decide how much you’re willing to invest while keeping in mind long-term cost savings on toilet paper.
- Temperature Control: Some bidets offer adjustable water temperature for a personalized cleansing experience.
- Water Pressure Adjustment: Look for models with adjustable water pressure settings to suit your preferences.
- Air Drying: Advanced bidet toilets may include built-in air dryers for a hands-free drying experience.
- Nozzle Adjustability: Opt for a bidet with adjustable nozzles to ensure thorough cleaning.
- Remote Control: Consider models with user-friendly remote controls for convenient operation.
Consider Hygiene and Cleanliness
- Look for bidet toilets with self-cleaning nozzles or antibacterial features to maintain optimal hygiene.
Think About Power Source
- Bidet toilets may require an electrical outlet for certain features. Make sure your bathroom has an accessible power source if needed.
- Research reputable bidet toilet brands are known for their quality, reliability, and customer support. Read reviews and gather feedback from other users.
Try Before You Buy (If Possible)
- If you have the opportunity, visit showrooms or stores where you can try out different bidet toilet models to get a feel for their features and functionalities.
Installation and Maintenance
- Consider whether you’re comfortable with DIY installation or if you’ll need a professional plumber in Manhattan for help.
- Check the ease of maintenance. Look for bidet toilets with easily removable and cleanable parts.
Warranty and Customer Support
- Ensure the bidet toilet comes with a warranty and reliable customer service in case of any issues.
- As technology advances, bidet toilets may offer more innovative features. Consider whether you want a model with room for future upgrades.
Tips for Bidet Maintenance and Care
Bidet maintenance is a crucial part of keeping your bidet in tip-top shape. Here are some tips to help you keep your bidet clean and working like it should:
- Make sure to use the bidet after each bowel movement.
- Clean the nozzle with warm water after each use and let it air-dry before using it again.
- If you have hard water in your bathroom, you may want to consider using distilled water or installing a water softener system in your home to prevent mineral buildup on the nozzle tip.
- Use liquid instead of bar soap, and ensure it is gentle for sensitive skin (such as baby shampoo).
- If you have little kids, make sure they know not to touch or squirt the nozzle!
- Keep an extra nozzle on hand just in case your current one gets damaged or lost; then, you’ll be ready when that happens!
- Be sure you’re using the right type of bidet for your needs.
Do I really need a bidet?
It depends. Are you ready for the best toilet experience of your life? If so, congratulations! You’ve just taken the first step towards a cleaner, happier life. But if you’re still on the fence about whether or not to buy a bidet, here are some questions to help you decide:
Why should I use a bidet?
Bidets are a great way to make sure you’re as clean as possible after using the toilet—especially if you have kids or pets! Using a bidet every time you go to the bathroom can also help prevent infections and rashes caused by bacteria in public restrooms (such as from toilets and public bathrooms).
How often do you need to replace parts?
All parts should be replaced annually, but if they start to look worn out before then, replace them sooner because they won’t clean well anymore!
Do I need to remove the seat before cleaning?
The answer is no. You do not need to remove the seat. You can clean the bidet with or without removing it from its base. However, if you do decide to remove the seat from its base, please be careful when handling it. The metal parts of the seat can be fragile and may break if dropped or mishandled.
What are the benefits of using a bidet instead of toilet paper?
Well-kept toilet paper is great for cleaning your bum but doesn’t get everything. Using a bidet can help prevent problems like irritable bowel syndrome and hemorrhoids by removing any leftover fecal matter from your body. It also makes for cleaner underwear because you’re not putting used toilet paper back into your drawers or washing machine—it’s just going down the drain!
Is the installation of a bidet complicated?
No! The bidet installation process only takes about an hour, and most of it is just plugging in the water supply or electrical outlet. You can do it yourself if you have basic plumbing skills. Otherwise, we recommend hiring a bathroom remodeling professional in Manhattan to do the job for you—it’s worth it to get it right!
How much does it cost to install a bidet?
Bidets can be installed for as little as $100, but the price varies depending on where you live. The average cost is around $300, but an eco-friendly option with a heated seat could run up to $750.
Elevate Your Bathroom Experience: Call Taylor Group for Supreme Bathroom Remodeling and Bidet Installation in Manhattan!
We understand how important your bathroom is to you. We know that it’s where you go to relax, unwind, and even get ready for work! We want to help you elevate your bathroom experience with the best possible remodel. No matter what kind of style or aesthetic you’re going for, Taylor Group can help bring it to life in your dream bathroom.
At Taylor Group, we’ve been installing bathrooms for over 16 years and have built our reputation on doing quality work at affordable prices. Our team has experience working with all kinds of budgets, so whether you have $100 or $100,000 to spend on remodeling your bathroom, we can help bring your vision to life to meet all your demands without breaking the bank.
We also believe that our customers deserve nothing less than supreme comfort and relaxation as they go about their daily business. Thus, we offer a wide range of plumbing, heating, and air conditioning services under one roof, including:
- Bidet Installation
- Bathroom Remodeling
- Shower Enclosure Installation
- Replace Tile Flooring with Wood Flooring (Some Restrictions Apply)
- Home improvement services such as window cleaning, flooring installation, and more.
- Bathtub refinishing & remodeling
So whether you’re looking for a simple upgrade or something more elaborate, we’ve got what you need. And because we only use the highest-quality materials, our work will last for years without fading or degrading as lesser products might do!
Give us a call today at (855) 999-LEAK for Bathroom Remodeling in Manhattan, and let’s get started on making your bathroom dreams come true!